You bought six kinds of chips, the bar is stocked and the perfect party music has been selected. So why are you sitting at home alone on the night of your big party?
You invested a lot of time, effort and money in this party, but somewhere it went wrong. Maybe your guests didn’t receive their invitations or maybe you put the wrong date.
In a lot of ways, building a subscriber list is a lot like hosting a really great party.
Andrew Kordek, Co-Founder of Trendline Interactive and expert contributor for our “Best Practices for Building a Subscriber List” white paper, suggests that marketers think of acquiring subscribers “as a party. You are inviting them to experience your brand, and are asking for something precious from them.” His bottom line: “Don’t let your party suck…do it right.”
Don’t Let Your Party Suck: 6 Ways to Do List Building Right
How do you make sure your subscribers don’t feel like the equivalent of disinterested party guests?
- Send a Good Invitation – Ensure that your sign-up process is streamlined. Plan the sign-up experience from your subscribers’ point of view.
- Don’t Invite the People You Know Aren’t Interested – Review your email analytics, then clean up your current lists.
- Don’t Bribe People to Attend - Don’t bother with unrelated offers, no matter how tempting.
- Tell Guests What to Bring – After people have subscribed, always include a call to action.
- Do the Work to Make a Memorable Experience – Plan email acquisition like a big party that your guests won’t want to leave.
- Skip the Piñata – Know your audience and tailor content to their interests.
Looking for more advice on list building? Download our “Best Practices for Building a Subscriber List” to get more fundamentals for your success.
Are you hosting a killer party? How do you make your email marketing campaigns a memorable experience for your subscriber list?