Content is a bigger part of marketing than ever. In fact, according to Target Marketing editor, Thorin McGee, content has become a marketers’ key to the Internet, allowing them to build an online image and rank in the major search engines. Text is the main form of content on the Internet, and that is why, as Perry points out, video helps to set your content apart.
During the first portion of her webinar, Perry outlined seven reasons why having an online video strategy is critical in today’s social and new media marketplace:
- Video is auditory and visual. In other words, with online video there’s no reading required by your viewers, making it easy to digest.
- Online video fits with the habit of watching TV, something with which people are familiar.
- Video adds personality to your brand, product, or company.
- Engaging your audience with video provides an easier way to establish trust, network, and build strong relationships.
- Video is easy to share across the Internet, and quite frankly, it’s what people prefer to share.
- Online video can aid in SEO, both for YouTube searches, as well as for the major search engines, like Google.
- Online video is accessible on a number of platforms, including personal computers, smartphones, and now even home television sets!
Video Marketing for Profit
In her webinar, Perry addressed five key aspects of using video to enhance your marketing efforts:
After addressing “Why Video?,” Perry posed the question: “To Host or Post?” In other words, is it better to host video content on your own website or post it on a third party site, like YouTube? Both have benefits depending on the goals you seek to accomplish with your video; however, Perry suggested using a combination of both approaches. For example, instead of only posting a video on YouTube or your website, you could post clips or mini videos on a third-party site that directs the viewer to an extended version on your company website.
As Perry pointed out, there are a number of ways to produce videos that do not involve a video camera. Some of these strategies for creating content include:
- Gain an Audience
When it comes to gaining an audience for your videos, Perry swears by YouTube. YouTube is the second largest search engine in the world and many people now go there first when looking to solve a problem. Gaining an audience on YouTube requires keyword research and including those keywords in your video’s metadata, such as titles, tags and video descriptions.
- Traffic Generation
After you gain an audience on YouTube, it’s important to drive that traffic to your website, blog or other online spaces. Perry’s tips for driving traffic include:
- Editing your video so that your main website domain appears at the front, middle and end of your video
- Adding annotations to your videos
- Including a hyperlinked URL at the very beginning of your video description
- Linking to videos featured on your YouTube channel, which should be branded with key messaging about your product or service—and of course appropriate links directing that traffic to custom landing pages aimed at conversion
- Leveraging Advanced Online Video Tools
CTA (Call-to-Action) ads, YouTube Promoted Ads and the addition of interactive transcripts to your YouTube videos are three advanced online video tools Perry mentioned in her webinar. Each has a different benefit. CTA ads can help direct traffic to your website or blog from your video. YouTube Promoted Ads help your video to be found in search. These ads are very similar to Google PPC (pay-per-click); however, the cost is “per view,” and can be bid on for pennies on the dollar compared to the Google text ad equivalent. Finally, adding interactive transcripts to videos allows them to be indexed in YouTube search, meaning that people are more likely to find your video if you’ve included an interactive transcript. Perry demonstrated how this is done and encouraged everyone to employ this technique to improve their “searchability” on YouTube.
Incorporating video into your overall marketing strategy can aid in lead generation, by allowing your organization to reach new customers. Make your content stand out from the plethora of text on the web, by taking advantage of this marketing tool.
Looking for a way to streamline your marketing efforts? Act-On Software provides an integrated marketing solution. Visit our website to learn more!